Summer has really gotten the best of me! Between attempting to keep three kiddos busy and entertained, working, and taking care of all the day to day tasks around the house and on our little farm I somehow lost my way. I gave into all the craziness and took the easy way out with our eating at times. We ordered out, strayed from our clean eating, and my digestive system has definitely been suffering! So what do I turn to when I need the ultimate reset? The Whole 30 Program of course!
I discovered the Whole 30 program a little over three years ago. At that time I was a few months postpartum from baby number two and just starting my journey to better health. I read the book It Starts with Food and it was mind blowing. I am a nurse and have a health and science background and from that standpoint everything made sense. You need to read the book! Life changing! I discovered the foods that I am eating and feeding to my family, are actually having a huge negative impact on the way my body is functioning! Bloating, headaches, skin problems, digestive troubles…all of these things that have been plaguing me for years can be directly related to the foods I have been eating. Seriously?!
After my first round of the Whole 30 I felt amazing! Headaches… gone! Skin… clear! Bloating and tummy troubles… not an issue anymore! When I am doing a Whole 30 I tend to feed my family that way as well, I refuse to make two dinners! So not only do I feel great at the end of the program there is also a noticeable difference in the behavior of my children. The listen a little better, go to bed a little easier, and temper tantrums are at an all time low. It’s amazing the difference fueling yourself with real food has on every system in your body!
As I slowly started adding dairy and grains back into my diet I learned how not good they make me feel. As time goes on I tend to lean more towards convince and start adding these foods back into my diet. And low and behold all these old problems start rearing their ugly heads again.
Established by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig, the Whole 30 is a short term way to reset your system. In those 30 days you cut out sugar, dairy, grains and legumes, all of which could be wrecking havoc on your system without you even knowing! Check out the Whole 30 website for all the nitty gritty details on the program, or better yet read It Starts with Food! The book goes into detail on the science behind the program, the stages of the program, and gives lots of helpful recipes!
So I’m starting my third round of the Whole 30 program tomorrow! My husband is giving me crap because it’s right before Labor Day and we have several picnics to go to. But I’m ready now, and I am a little Type A and need to start on the first of the month. So be sure to follow me on Instagram and stay tuned here for all my updates! Wish me luck! I would love to hear all of your Whole 30 tips and success stories! Here are a few things I find helpful to do before you start you first Whole 30!
My Pre Whole 30 Tips
- Read It Starts with Food or go through The Whole 3o website to be sure you really understand the program and what foods you can and cannot eat. The website is extremely helpful in helping you determine if a food is Whole 30 compliant or not.
- Meal plan and grocery shop before you start the program. I cannot stress this enough! Plan out what you are going to eat each day so you are not tempted to turn to non compliant foods because you are hungry! Pinterest is a great tool for finding Whole 3o recipes!
- Meal prep. Cooking during a Whole 30 can get very time consuming, especially if you are use to eating out. Do as much of the prep work ahead of time and always have foods you can eat on hand.
- Prepare your friends and family! You can get a little cranky during the program, especially when you are detoxing from sugar so mentally prepare those around you!
- Stick with it, even though it gets tough and you really want to eat that doughnut or enjoy the foods everyone else is at your family party. It is all worth it in the end and what you learn about your body not worth that doughnut!
Oook there you have it! My top tips for starting a Whole 30 successfully. Stay tuned for all my updates and if any of you are starting a September Whole 30 tomorrow, Good Luck!!