Ever have those days where you are running around like a chicken with your head cut off all day… then comes the evening when you finally get to slow down and you realize you haven’t even thought about dinner? And you have two children and a baby screaming that they are hungry? And you are doing a Whole 30 and are freaking starving as well? Ahh seems like this is a daily struggle here in our house. No matter how hard I try to plan ahead I always get caught up in all of the tasks the need to be accomplished…. and Poof all my planning goes out the window!
Thankfully I do meal plan, so there are always the components of a healthy meal on hand. Just putting them all together is sometimes the problem! I usually do a big grocery order every two weeks, with maybe a stop or two in between to restock on whatever we ran out of too quickly. I swear these kids are starting to eat me out of house and home! I usually plan for about 12 dinners in that two week period, and hopefully each dinner will make enough for dinner and lunch the next day. The other two dinners will be either be eaten out or leftovers.
Yesterday was one of those especially busy days. It was my son’s 4th Birthday! Yay! So we are planning for a party, one of the dogs had a vet appointment, I am in the middle of getting ready for a huge consignment sale, and tons of other little things had to be taken care of. Meaning the day literally got away from me! We spent the better part of the morning and early afternoon running around. Came home for naps then had to get big sister at school, do homework, you know the drill. Dinner time was creeping up and I had nothing planned. I took a quick look at my meal plan, four the three easiest things and went to work.
I decided on bacon wrapped smoky chicken tenders, butternut squash puree and ghee and garlic green beans. All quick, easy, healthy and family favorites. I mean who doesn’t love bacon?! Bacon makes everything taste good!
Bacon Wrapped Smoky Chicken Tenders
2 packages Chicken Tenders
1 lb uncured, sugar free bacon
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Covered a rimmed baking sheet with tin foil and place a baking rack on top
- Rinse and pat chicken dry
- Mix spices in a small bowl
- Coat chicken tenders in spice blend
- Slice bacon slices in half and wrap bacon around chicken tenders, place on rack with “seams” of the bacon on the bottom. use extra bacon slices for bigger tenders that need more bacon!
- Bake for 30 min
Butternut Squash Puree
1 large butternut squash
2 tbsp. ghee
Salt to taste
- Peel, seed and cube butternut squash
- Steam, bake or boil until fork tender *I boiled in water much like when you make mashed potatoes
- Drain and blend in blender or food processor with ghee until smooth * I used a Vitamix
- Add salt to taste
Ghee and Garlic Green Beans
1 package frozen green beans
3 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp ghee
- heat green beans to thaw in water on stovetop
- Drain add green beans, ghee and minced garlic back to saucepan
- Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes or until garlic is fragrant
Alrighty folks there you have it. Three recipes that make for a healthy week night dinner. Easy to incorporate into your busy lives. Now my kids are pretty good eaters and with a little coaxing on the squash part they cleared their plates! Hope you enjoy this meal and can incorporate it into your recipe rotation! I would love to hear your thoughts and the favorite easy, week night meals in your house! We are always looking for new ideas! Have a great weekend!!