Happy Monday Everyone!! How is your week starting off? It is cold and windy over here and the kids had a 2 hour delay this morning. Now that gave us the opportunity to start our week a little less rushed, which was a welcomed change in this house. Although it does make the rest of the day go a little faster… more things to fit into less time. The story of my life.
I’m attempting to take things a little easy today because my left foot has really been bothering me. Which means no gym this morning and some of those chores can wait. Now I’m not much of a complainer, but I know when things aren’t right with my body. My nurse judgement tells me it is nothing serious and something that a ice and rest will take care of. Buuuut that is super hard to do when you are a mom of three littles with a hubby off at work for most of the day. But I’m trying my best!
In the spirit of resting I am currently watching two children destroy my house while I work on my meal plan for the next two weeks. With my foot propped on a stack of pillows with an ice pack. I am scouring Pinterest, my cookbooks and the grocery store circulars to make my list. Always searching for the best deal and new affordable recipes my family will love. I am all about cutting our grocery budget lately so all my meals need to be affordable but still healthy and delicious.
I grocery shop every two weeks and usually meal plan for about 12-13 dinners during that time. I figure we will eat dinner out once and will rely on leftovers another night. Each dinner also usually makes enough leftovers for lunch the next day for most of us. I have also been leaning towards meals that are easy to throw together. Casseroles and One Pot meals are all the rage in our house lately!! We also generally stick to Gluten Free meals that are full of tons of veggies! Stating today, each Monday I will share a few of our families favorite meals from my most recent meal plan! Hopefully these will add a little inspiration and variety to your week!
- Teriyaki Chicken Casserole– Holly’s blog Life in the Lofthouse is one I follow and I have been meaning to try this awesome recipe for quite awhile now. I made a few substitutions to make it gluten free and it turned out absolutely delicious and a family favorite! We will definitely be making this one again!
- Gluten Free Tater Tot Casserole– We lived in North Dakota for several years while my husband was in the military and there was the first time I haven ever even heard of “Tater Tot Hotdish.” Holy Comfort Food! Brianna from Flippin’ Delicious created an awesome gluten free version with homemade cream of mushroom soup! Not full of crap, easy and delicious, what more can you ask for?!?
- Sausage and Kale Soup– I seriously make this soup every week! We love it and the leftovers are even better! This is my adaptation of Zuppa Tuscana soup and it is the perfect weeknight meal!
- Chicken Apple Sausage Skillet– Aidells Chicken Apple Sausage was on sale last week, woohoo! So I stocked up and searched for yummy recipes! I can across this one from Leah at Simply Made with Love and it was delicious! The kiddos even gobbled up the peppers, score!
- Spatchcocked Chicken– We butchered our own chickens in November and still have a few left in the freezer. I am always looking for new ways to cook them and this cooking method from Michelle at Nom Nom Paleo is a delicious and quick way to do it! I seasoned ours a little differently that she does in her recipe but the end result was great!
The rest of my meal plan basically paired a meat with veggies. We do eat rice and potatoes so those make an appearance at most meals as well. Tune in next week for our favorite meals of the week!
Halfway Wholesome is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com